I saw this one day and it really helped me see myself as God sees me. I hope it will help you as well. Be honest with yourself and ask the LORD to reveal any sin in your heart.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me..." Psalms 139:23-24
Characteristics of the Self Life
- A secret spirit of pride or an exalted feeling in view of your success or position-because of your good training or appearance because of your natural gifts or abilities- an important independent spirit? Prov. 16:18, 20:6; Rom. 12:3; James 4:6-8.
- Love of human praise; a secret fondness to be noticed; love of supremacy, drawing attention to self in conversation; a swelling out of self when you have had a special open door in speaking or praying? Jn. 5:44, 12:42-43; I Cor. 13:4.
- The stirrings of anger or impatience which, worst of all, you call nervousness or holy indignation; a touchy, sensitive spirit; a disposition to resent and retaliate when dissaproved of or contradicted; a desire to throw sharp, heated remarks at another? Psalms 37:8; Eccl. 7:9; Luke 21:19; James 1:19: Rom. 5:3.
- Self-will; a stubborn unteachable spirit; an arguing, talkative spirit; harsh, sarcastic expressions; an unyielding, headstrong disposition; a driving, commanding spirit; a disposition to criticize and pick flaws when set aside and unnoticed; a pevish fretful spirit; a disposition that loves to be coaxed and humored? Deut. 1:43; Mal. 2:2; James 3:17; II Peter 2:10.
- Carnal fear; a man-fearing spirit; a shrinking from reproach and duty; reasoning around your cross; a shrinking from doing your whole duty to those of wealth or position; a fearfulness that someone will offend and drive some promanite person away; a compromising spirit? I Sam. 15:24; Prov. 29:25; Gal. 2:12; I John 4:18.
- A jealous disposition; a secret envy in your heart; an unpleasant sensation in view of the great prosperity and success of others; a disposition to speak of the faults and failings rather that the gifts and virtues of those more talented and appreciated than yourself? Gen. 26:12-16; I Sam. 18:8-9; Prov. 6:34,14:30; Mt. 21:15; Rom. 12:9-10.
- A dishonest and deceitful disposition; the evading and covering of the truth; the covering up of your real faults; leaving a better impression of yourself than is strictly true; false humility; exaggeration straining the truth? Ps. 15:2-3; Isa. 29:13; Jer. 17:9; Mt. 23:28; Lk. 22:48; Acts 5:2-3; I Tim. 4:2.
- Unbelief; a spirit of discouragement in times of pressure and opposition; lack of quietness and confidence in God; lack of faith and trust in God; a disposition to worry and complain in the midst of pain, poverty, or at the dispensations of divine Providence; an overanxious feeling whether everything will come out all right? Is. 7:9; Lk. 12:28-30; I Cor. 2:14; II Cor. 5:6; Heb. 11:6; I Pet.S:7,
- Formality and deadness; lack of compassion and concern for lost souls; dryness and indifference; lack of power with God? Mt. 15:14; II Tim. 3:5; Rev. 2:4, 3:1.
- Selfishness; love of ease; love of money; love of your own time? Lk. 12:19-21; I Tim. 6:10-11; Amos 6:1-6.
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do MORTIFY the deeds of the body, ye shall live (Rom 8:13). Dost thou even know the plagues of thine own heart (ref I Kin 8:38)? The vain thoughts that lodge within thee (ref Jer 4:14)? Wilt thou be cleansed from secret faults (ref. Ps 19:12)? Will you FIGHT against presumptuous sins and be innocent from the great transgression (ref. Ps 19:13)? Will you mortify thy deeds and thy members which are upon the earth (ref Col 3:5)?